Find a tough but compassionate attorney. It’s no easy task, but it is important if you are in need of a family law attorney. You cannot determine the nature of an attorney by reading her yellow pages advertisement. An attorney’s demeanor and style can only be determined through referrals and meeting the attorney in person.
When you need to find an Indiana attorney (or one in another area) to help you with your family law problems, make sure to consider these factors and use these helpful hints:
- Ask a family member or trusted friend for a referral.
- Ask your business or estate planning attorney for a referral. Get two to three names. Interview all of them on the phone.
- Choose a family law attorney close to your home or office, or an attorney whose officwe is near the courthouse. This can make appointments easier or keep your fees down.
- Call the family law attorneys referred to you and interview them on the phone. Remember, however, that good attorneys are busy and in high demand. Most good attorneys do not offer free initial consultations.
- Bring all important documents or previous agreements to your first consultation.
- Take notes, ask questions, and research any resources the attorney gives you.
- Ask your Indiana family law attorney how many cases she has handled that are similar to your case.
- Ask how many years experience your family law attoreney has? Does her area of practice concentrate on family law in Indiana?
- Does your attorney seem aggressive yet compassionate? Does she show concern for your children?
- Do you think your family law attorney understands what you are trying to accomplish?
- Is your attorney patient with you in answering your family law questions?
- Most importantly, does your attorney understand what you are looking for? How comfortable do you feel with her experience and personality?
If you find an Indiana family law attorney but don’t feel comfortable with him or his advice, you have the right to a second opinion.